Alimony – Stauff & Gross Law


We are excited to announce the selection of Jordan H. Gross to the 2021 North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars list! No more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in North Carolina are selected as Rising Stars. Congratulations!

You are most likely still responsible for any child support or spousal support obligations if you are one of the many whose income is affected with the current “stay at home” order or—even worse—lost your job. If your amount is part of a court order that amount is due on the date ordered.

However, that obligation amount can change if you experience a “substantial change of circumstances.” The loss of income or employment due to recent events may very well qualify as a substantial change in circumstances. In order to seek relief from the payments you owe per a court order, you must file a motion to modify.  If you file a motion to modify the amount now the court may retroactively change the amount back to the first of the month after you filed your motion.

Every case is different though, so it is important that you consult with an attorney.  Contact our office at 919-783-1260 now to set up a consultation with one of our attorneys to discuss modifying your support obligation.